How to do push-ups properly, with perfect form and technique! The best upper-body bodyweight exercise to build a strong chest and arms at home!
How To Do The Perfect Push-Up
- Place your hand’s shoulder-width apart and feet together with your body in a straight line from head to heels. Your fingers should be spread as wide as possible, with your glutes and core braced.
- While keeping your hands in place, create an external rotation torque during the entire motion, the same as you did with your feet during the Paleo Squat.
- Descend until your body is barely hovering over the floor, pause and then push-up to the top position.
Tip: Flex your glutes to help brace your torso to your legs and keep your head neutral.
If you cannot do a push-up on a flat surface, adjust by placing your hands on an elevated surface. As you increase strength, lower the elevation each week until you can do a full push-up.
Keep all the same protocols and do not do push-ups from your knees, because this teaches a bracing fault and will decrease your strength potential.
Watch the Video!
Increases upper body strength,
builds core stability and
teaches proper movement patterns for the shoulder and elbow joint.
- Teaches proper arm and shoulder pressing mechanics
- and builds upper body strength.
Prime Movers – Most Active Muscles
- Triceps (Arms),
- Anterior Deltoids (Shoulders),
- Pectoralis Major (Chest)
Learn how to move properly to build strength, decrease pain, prevent injury, and get fit, at home or in the gym!
Great for men, women, and children of all strength levels!
Join the Mathias Method Army for updates and more great content like this!