Learn how to do pull-ups to build back and arm strength!
- Build Pulling Strength
- Increase Shoulder Integrity
- Improve Posture
- Latimus Dorsi (Back)
- Biceps Brachii (Arms)
The pull-up is a natural movement we were all designed to do.
Throughout our entire lives, no matter our age and state, we are meant to run, jump and climb. The hardest being climbing, yet we are meant to do it.
We are meant to run, jump and climb every single day, yet very few people still rely on those activities for survival and don’t use them. That lack of movement leads to a lack of strength, which in turn leads to injury.
We hear of people all the time who have shoulder injuries from various things, yet it is not what they did that caused the injury, it is what they didn’t do. They didn’t build and maintain the strength and mobility required to pull themselves up from a dead hang onto something.
That lead to a lack of proper shoulder integrity (joint placement) and commonly causes most shoulder injuries and pain.
What we can do about it is develope the ability we may have once lost, by becoming proficient at pull-ups. If you can do 10-20 perfect pull-ups, then you likely have very healthy shoulders and are protected from most common shoulder problems.
So get to work on those pull-ups!
How To Do A Pull-Up
- Grasp a pull-up bar shoulder width, with your palms facing away from you and thumbs wrapped.
- Brace your core and press your feet out in front of you slightly with straight legs.
- Initiate the pull by creating an external rotation torque on the bar (twisting your hands as if you were to point your thumbs towards your face) and pulling your elbows back and down.
- Finish with your head higher than your hands before reversing the motion under control, until your head is pushed through between your arms.
- Keep your feet out in front of you the entire time.
- As you pull, allow your elbows to come in front of you and then flair them as you lower. This is the same as for military press.
Learn how to move properly to build strength, decrease pain, prevent injury, and get fit, at home or in the gym!
Great for men, women, and children of all strength levels!
Join the Mathias Method Army for updates and more great content like this!