- Increase Oblique Activation
- Increase Oblique Strength
- Rectus Abdominis (Abs)
How To Do Side Bends
- While standing erect with feet shoulder width, grab a weight with one hand and hold it to your side. This could be a dumbbell, kettlebell, plate, cable attachment or anything you can find.
- Hold the weight slightly behind you so that your shoulder is back and down.
- While keeping your hips fixed, lean your torso towards the weight until you feel your opposing obliques activate.
- Pause in this position and flex them hard to return to the start position before controlling the descent again.
- Do not twist as you flex laterally.
Note: If you hold a weight in both hands then they will counterbalance eachother and this exercise will lose its effectiveness. Do one side at a time!
Join the Mathias Method Army for updates and more great content like this!